The last material of the week that we will be dealing with is textile vinyl, it will not be the last treated, because we will continue this topic next week because there are still different methods that we want to share with you. Textile vinyl is a material made of plastic (usually PVC ) that, when in contact with the heat and pressure of the iron, adheres to the fabric . This material is exclusively for fabrics, but its advantage is that it is used for any type of fabric , so this material can get you out of trouble depending on the occasion.
- How does it work ? the correct way to use it is to cut the entire design with a cutting plotter in mirror mode, then remove the excess material leaving only the design you want to iron on, place it on the iron and enjoy the result.
- What are its main advantages ? It gives you an excellent finish depending on the type of vinyl it can be gloss, matte. Also, you can use it on a wide variety of surfaces.
- And its disadvantages ? You must have cutting equipment to be able to work with it, they only come in one color at a time, this does not mean that you cannot make a complex design, but rather that you will have to cut several pieces to obtain the design.
Here is a step-by-step explanation of the process.
1. Cut the design in mirror mode, using your cutting machine (Silhouette Curio model shown in image). Be careful: this cut must be made on the vinyl side, that is, the opposite side to where the transparent plastic is.
2. Remove the excess material and place it on the fabric for ironing the material. Place the design with the clear side facing up and the vinyl side in contact with the fabric.
3. Iron your design at a temperature of 160°c for 30 seconds, the amount of time can vary depending on the brand, there are others that only use 10 seconds.
4. Remove the protective plastic placed on the vinyl.
5. Enjoy the result.